Friday, November 04, 2005

Why give up?

Last night was challenging for me.

I'll get to the story in a moment, but first I've got to say that I've got this big "drama cloud" that follows me around. I don't know why I'm always at the epicenter of drama. One of my friends told me once that I simply love it. The solid fact is that I don't. Those that truly know me, know that I'm all about stress-free "happy times". I avoid arguments and negative situations like the plague.

Somehow the drama manages to find me and thrusts it's cock (and balls) down my throat.

On my way home from work yesterday, I decided to call a few people to see what everyone was planning for the weekend. Nobody answered. Instantly, I began to doubt my friends' loyalty. The reality is that most of them were probably still at work.

I knew that one of my best friends wasn't at work...I'll call him "James" to protect his privacy.

You see, James recently got terminated by Mickey Mouse. Not very "magical" after all, is it? I won't go into why I personally feel that he was wrongfully terminated. What I will go into is that I knew he would answer his phone, since he's currently unemployed AND single.

Unemployed AND single obviously do not mix well, because my drive-time conversation quickly turned into a suicide prevention hotline.

James talked about how he doesn't know what he wants to do in life anymore. No job really interests him. He also feels that his limited education will lead him nowhere. He's now in his thirties and he feels that his life up to this point has been simply irrelevant...pointless.

His quest for a man has been challenging due to his high standards and the sub-par quality of the candidates. The Orlando dating pool -- he informs me -- is full of psychotic selfish vapid losers. All people that he has never had or made a real connection with (except for the empty sex he so freely has with many of them).

I talked him down from his metaphorical building ledge for a short time, as I arrived home at my condo. I had to let him go, but promised I would call him later in the evening.

After walking Chopstick and prepping myself with three glasses of my Raspberry Smirnoff and Sierra Mist Free, I had the liquid courge to call him back.

It was a rough call.

I tried my best to inspire him to embrace the small things that make him happy. I asked him to take time and really look at his surroundings...nature. I asked him to think about all of the fun times he has had, like our recent trip to St. Augustine.

On the career front, I told him that he really needs to figure out what inspires him and attempt to marry that passion with a career. He's a huge environmentalist, a believer in the positive integration of technology and diversity displayed in Science Fiction, and loves world cultures. He loves art and hates math.

I made a wide-sweeping variety of job suggestions...trying to ignite the light in him.

During the course of the conversation, he made mentions of suicide at least ten times. From the "I just want to sleep and never wake up...I love sleeping." to the "I'm just going to eat something poisonous and die because I just don't see the point in any of this anymore."

Like I said, it was rough.

At around 11pm, I decided I was going over to his house to go on "suicide watch".

After negotiating with the Mrs., I finally got "permission" to go.

Once I got there, I found him in surprisingly good spirits. Wine, that is. And the "Refreshing White" FRANZIA seemed to have made him happier. I'd also like to think that my appearance at his abode made him happier, too.

He feels lost and has no one "there" for him. I'm glad I was able to be that person last night.

After a few more glasses of wine and a kinder, gentler conversation, I told him that I needed to go to sleep because I had to work the next morning.

There was a humorous drunken fumbling as he attempted to find me some shorts to sleep in. None of which fit me. Since I wasn't wearing underwear with the nylon athetic pants I had on, I knew I'd need shorts for comfort to sleep in. After trying to get four different pairs of shorts over my giant butt, I gave up. I told him, "Screw it, you've seen me naked a million times...I'll be sleeping nude."

Stop right there, bitches...this was not a "move" for me to attempt to get some action. Assholes.

I climbed into bed and he stripped down to his nothingness and joined me.

I turned away from him to begin my slumber and he quickly "spooned" me and put his arm over me and held my chest. I think this is all James really needed -- comfort and security.

5am the alarm clock woke me up for my return to the real world. Where was James? He wasn't in the bed! Holy Shiite Muslims! Did he "off" himself while I was sleeping?

Nah...it turns out that I was snoring like a freight train and he went to sleep on the sofa.

I sat next to him as he lay on the sofa and caressed his chest and hair a little while. He thanked me for "being there" for him and told me that it really meant a lot to him.

Mission accomplished...for now.

I gave him a quick peck on the lips and stumbled down to my car cursing the fact that I was up at 5am and had to go to work. I made it home by 5:25am and quickly climbed into bed with the Indonesian love of my life and nodded off for one extra hour of sleep.

I'm tired. Exhausted, really. It doesn't matter...

...why, I'll do just about anything for my dearest friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home