Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Why I hate "Hidden Mickeys"

A little history for those not "in the know"...

The Disney official history goes like this: Hidden Mickeys started in the late 1980's in Epcot as an inside joke among the Imagineers. Hiding Mickey around Walt Disney World was just plain fun. Because of the popularity of Hidden Mickeys, Imagineers are encouraged to place them in new construction.

Some more memorable Hidden Mickeys include:
  • In the riverboat scene near the end of the Splash Mountain ride is the cloud Hidden Mickey (lying on his back) on the wall to the right.
  • In the large mural at the Maelstrom loading dock in the Norway pavilion is a small viking ship full of "brave vikings". Look closely...one viking is wearing Mickey Mouse Ears on his head.
  • The full body image of Mickey painted in the mural (in the green “broccoli-like” tissue) above the entrance to Body Wars at Epcot.

Hidden Mickeys are fun to spot. So much so, that there are now books that exist that can help you locate them throughout the Disney theme parks.

When I served my time as a personal "slaveboy" for celebrities and VIPs as a Walt Disney World VIP Tour Guide, I enjoyed occasionally pointing out some of these Hidden Mickeys to my tours and introducing them to the "secret" world of Hidden Mickeys.

It's the whole...I like you...now let me let you into our "inner-circle". It was always a big-win while on tour.

However, now-a-days, the phenomena has gotten extremely out of hand.

People now swear they see Hidden Mickeys all over the place. Some of these so-called Hidden Mickeys are patently ridiculous.

You think that the three rust stains from a stantion post being moved around is a Hidden Mickey? Um, no.

Let me give some example via links...

Here's a REAL Hidden Mickey: http://www.mouseplanet.com/tokyo/edwards/ceiling_hidden_mickey_edwards.jpg

That one is from Tokyo Disneyland and is quite intentional from the Disney Imagineers.

Now here's one of the absurd ones: http://mousesurplus.com/allears/viewtopic.php?t=46&sid=13345c15cfb772a5f34e0a83e1d54a25

Do you see anything remotely similar to the REAL Hidden Mickey? Me neither. This is wear my pissed-off-itude motor begins revving.

I see pots and kitchen utensils, but no "Big Cheese". Not even a Cheese Grater!

But, Hidden Mickey Hunters pull this crap all of the time.

"Oh! I found a Hidden Mickey!"

"Look, there's one!"

Um, no...that cactus doesn't even look like Mickey Mouse. If you are on drugs, please share them. The Imagineers didn't plan that one and it isn't legitimate. Get a life and stop trying so damn hard to find a freaking Mickey Mouse in everything you see. No, that turd you just flushed looked nothing like a cartoon mouse. Please seek help.

Wait...I'm wrong. I confesss. The cucumber on your plate really IS a Hidden Mickey (or a not so hidden one). You see, Disney actually IS gentically mutating vegetables at Epcot's "the Land" pavilion to grow in the traditional Mickey shape. No lie!

This is getting out of hand.

As much as I love my sweet nephew, Kyle, and my Sister-In-Law...these two are the worst offenders in the "I see one! I found one!" Hidden Mickey hunt.

I've gotten to the point where I have turned down trips to the theme parks with them mainly because I didn't want to be the "expert" to approve or reject their fucked-up Hidden Mickey submissions.

Me: "Can't we just enjoy the Jungle Cruise and listen to the finely crafted spiel rather than interrupt the "Jungle Skipper" by declaring that you've found another one?" Pretty please.

This is a phenomenon that I no longer enjoy. The cute little "wink" that the Imagineers started in the 1980's has become something I abhore.

"There are two more Hidden Mickeys: On the Poster opposite the control room (above the stairs) in the loading area ("Baltimore Gun Club") there are 3 cannon balls on the right and on the left forming an upside-down Mickey"

See them for yourself at the link below, and you will also see, WHY I SIMPLY CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

http://sm.dlpfan.org/pics/fm_gunclub.jpg

4 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Orlando Vacations

9:58 AM

 
Blogger Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Cheap Disney Tickets

5:38 PM

 
Blogger Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Cheap Disney Tickets

8:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just came across your rant while looking for LEGITIMATE Hidden Mickeys... I understand your irritation and completely agree. I have seen so many bogus and idiotic reports it makes my head spin. I do still enjoy looking for them, but only the ones that are Intentional like your example. folks are getting a little too imaginative and it kind of ruins the fun for the rest of us.

5:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home