Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Why a loss of manners?

What the hell happened to our society?
When did we become so self-absorbed?

What happened to basic manners and respect?

The prompt for this rant began just moments ago as I strolled into the vile men's restroom where I work. As I sauntered up to the urinal, and unzipped my fly, I hear the guy next to me chatting away.

"What?", I asked.

No response. He was on his damn cell phone at the urinal!

As I did my own business, I overhear this pointless conversation and also listened to see if he was even doing his own business. I'm sure you've guessed correctly...he wasn't.

So there he stands, talking about his crappy day...cell phone in one hand, schlong in the other (sans urination). At least he wasn't talking about his crappy day in the crapper.

When did this behavior become acceptable? In my mind, I don't think that this shift in behavior should have become acceptable at all.

There was a time that if I came to a doorway as another person was coming through, I'd acctually apologize to them, hold the door open, and allow them to pass. What I did NOT realize is that the basic manners and respect that I displayed are no longer savvy and the king (or queen) flew through the door without even a simple, "Thank you."

I no longer display this common courtesy.

So, should I be asking myself...when did I stop with these basic manners and respect? Was there a dramatic shift in the earth's rotation that caused everyone to act with such disregard and I was a part of the "new cruelty"?

Deep down, I'd like to think that it happened when SUV's went onto the market.

Another issue for another day.

Oh! Yesterday! I was about to turn into the SuperTarget parking lot, but we were backed up at the traffic light. The sun was setting and blazing like a spotlight brilliantly illuminating the lady in the car in my rear-view mirror. What was she doing? Well, I would hope that she was driving and not about to rear-end my car. Surprisingly, she must be a member of Cirque du Soleil, because this wrinkled hag was smoking with her left hand and was holding her cell phone with her right! Talent or ridiculous behavior...you be the judge.

Good news (for her) is that she did manage to stop her car short of hitting me. I rehearsed a dramatic explosion to myself, should she had made contact with my bumper.

Oh well, I'll save that performance for another day, I suppose.

Speaking of performances...

...Paula Abdul put on quite a show on American Idol last night. She praised every contestant! 90% of them sucked! I think if all of our "modern" society was able to take the drugs she was on, the world would be a much better place. A world full of love, manners, respect, poor judgement, and glazed over eyes...with a dash of incongruent sentences.

Now wouldn't that be nice?

Why disrespect?

2 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Disney Vacation

1:12 PM

 
Blogger Admin said...

Wow, what a great site. I will bookmark this site and return often. It's nice to see sites like this.

Please visit my website and let me know what you think. Orlando Vacations

12:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home